Make a Public Information Request

To request information from an agency, you must submit a written request to the agency's designated contact.

The Office of Public Information Requests (OPIR) is the designated contact for agencies supported by OPIR. To request information from an agency supported by OPIR, you must complete the public information request form below, send an email to, or mail a letter to the Office of Public Information Requests, P.O. BOX 200101, Helena, MT 59620-0101. All public information requests we handle must be submitted using one of these methods.

To request information from an agency that is not on the OPIR agency list, you must contact the agency's designated contact.

Note: A request for information about a specific person or property (such as a request for records of an application, vital record, license, permit, or registration) should not be made using this form. Such information may be requested directly from the agency that maintains the record.